2020 is a dumpster fire. We are months into the pandemic. Some have gotten sick and are still recovering (our Amy being one of those people). Others lost their loved ones, the economy is in shambles, children can’t go to school, nothing is normal at the moment. As things stand, we need to adjust to this limbo for the foreseeable future. All this stress affects our bodies, our mental health, and, yes, our skin.
It can manifest in any number of ways – skin might look dull and sallow, or we might experience breakouts. Others with chronic skin conditions might experience flare-ups.
When we experience stress, the body will release hormones – cortisol and adrenaline. Cortisol is known as the primary stress hormone and a part of our body’s fight-or-flight response. In a fight-or-flight situation, any bodily functions that aren’t detrimental for our survival shut down. Cortisol affects a number of our bodily functions: the immune, digestive, and reproductive systems. It also affects our mood.
High levels of cortisol lead to collagen degradation. In turn, this can lead to premature aging. Likewise, it can also impair our barrier function and levels of Hyaluronic acid in the skin (which can lead to dryness). If you are dealing with stressed skin, try one of Ishtar’s products below.
For healthy skin, it is essential to block the stress-induced biochemical reactions that can lead to inflammation and aging of the skin. Our Hydrocharge oil restores the moisture barrier, deeply hydrates, and de-stresses the skin.
- Organic White Tea extract
White Tea extract contains high levels of catechins, an antioxidant, which inhibits MMP (enzymes in the skin which degrade collagen and elastin).
- Microalgae extract derived from unique marine plankton, which protects the skin against stress-related reactions to cortisol and adrenaline.
- Anhydrous Hyaluronic Acid Liposomes with Tripeptide-29
This particular complex has a dual effect on the skin. Hyaluronic acid is slowly released into the skin, where it intensely hydrates and then triggers a reaction to encourage collagen synthesis and reduce inflammation. Tripeptide-29 also boosts collagen synthesis.
- A blend of oils (Tomato Seed, Prickly Pear, Squalane, Oat Kernel, and Andiroba oils) improves the skin’s barrier function.
One thing we have learned by now is that all skin types can have problems with a disrupted skin barrier. If the problem isn’t treated, over time, it can lead to irritation and inflammation.
Ceramides and sterols are an essential part of our natural lipid barrier. Their primary function is to protect the skin against environmental stressors and help optimise the natural process of shedding the old skin cells. Likewise, they prevent transepidermal water loss (TEWL) and improve hydration of the skin.
Multi-Ceramide Concentrate has a pH of 5.5 and is suitable for all skin types. It is a light fluid that can be used on its own or as a treatment serum.
- Plant-derives phytosterol complex (with cholesterol, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol, and campesterol)
Sterols make up 15% of the Stratum Corneum. When applied in topical products, they help improve the texture of the skin, soothe irritation, reduce roughness, improve hyperpigmentation, and moisturise.
- A complex of plant-derived Ceramides (includes Ceramide 3, 3-II, 6, and 6-II)
Ceramides are lipids that make up over 50% of Stratum Corneum, and, while each has a specific function, together they improve the structure of collagen and elastin, smooth out wrinkles, and protect the skin.
- Glycosphingolipids stimulate fibroblasts, reduce hyperpigmentation, soften, and soothe skin.
Skinbiotica Daily Defence serum is an essential recovery serum formulated to help restore dermal balance. It has a pH of 5.5.
- A complex of natural prebiotics (Arabinogalactan & a-glucan Oligosaccharide)
Prebiotics support a healthy skin pH and skin ecosystem, encourage skin-friendly bacteria and protect the skin against daily environmental stress.
- A complex of calming botanical isolates (Rosmarinyl Glucoside (and) Caffeyl Glucoside (and) Gallyl Glucoside)
This complex helps reduce inflammatory cytokines (high levels of cytokines are associated with skin redness and some chronic conditions).
- Canadian Rose Bay Willowherb extract
This botanical extract contains molecule Oenothein-B. Research shows it has a significant anti-inflammatory effect on the skin, soothes irritation, and reduces redness.
- Butcher’s Broom extract contains a compound called Aesculin, which is a glucoside that reduces swelling, combats redness, and soothes the skin.
- Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans are natural polysaccharides that hydrate the skin, and improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.